In 1966 I was 10 years-old; and as 10 year-olds are wont to do I was infatuated with sophomoric behavior and attracted to silly comedy on TV and The Big Screen. In May of that year a comedy hit the silver screen, starring Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner, Brian Keith, and Jonathan Winters.
The movie was called “The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!” in an oblique reference to the Ride of Paul Revere when the British were on their way to Lexington and Concord. The synopsis of the movie on IMDb reads as follows:
Without hostile intent, a Soviet sub runs aground off New England. Men are sent for a boat, but many villagers go into a tizzy, risking bloodshed.
Apparently, little has changed when it comes to the reaction of “the villagers” whenever we spot someone from Mother Russia!
OK … It’s really the Media that’s largely having apoplectic seizures over Russians, Russians, Russians.
As we slog through yet another so-called Trump “scandal”, I am having much difficulty in understanding where all the hubbub is about. So allow me to summarize what I know with the hope that someone can make better sense of this confusion than I am able.
- Donald Trump, Jr. is approached by a long-time friend of his father’s, who happens to be connected to the Russian entertainment industry, requesting a meeting on behalf of a Russian lawyer with dirt to share on opposition candidate, Hillary Clinton.
- Said points-of-contact could very well have “connections to the Russian Government” – though that’s certainly up for interpretation – in the same way that many in the Legal and Entertainment industries in the U.S. of A would know and interact with US Government officials in the course of professional duties.
- A meeting is arranged, and it quickly becomes apparent that the source really has nothing of value related to Clinton and the meeting devolves into a discussion of Russian adoption programs, discontinued by the Russian government in response to sanctions imposed by the U.S Congress in the Magnitsky Act, which seized assets and denied visas to Russians suspected of corruption and human rights abuses.
- The meeting lasts all of 20 minutes; does not result in any valuable information on anything; and no future contact between the principles occurred afterwards.
Now that appears to me to be a rather thin basis for all the clamoring about collusion and treason. I will attribute my inability at being shocked to my pragmatic way of looking at all things.
If one looks at collusion as something akin to a contract, you would need to see some form of consideration or value passing between the principles. So what was that thing of value? Even if one can argue that Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskay had acknowledged connections to the Russian Government (She denies it.), what was the benefit to them? Much was made today about the man who accompanied Veselnitskay to the meeting … until it was noted that he was actually an American citizen!
Or let’s look at the definition of Treason, which requires the witnessing of overt acts against the Country or in aiding and abetting the Enemy. So what exactly was the overt act that accomplished either of those circumstances. Some argue that Russian operatives may have been dangling the Clinton information to draw out one of the Trumps. Maybe they did. But simply looking at the dangle, but not taking the bait in full is nothing to get the villagers running around like beheaded chickens.
Now indulge me as I surmise what might have been the reaction in the Hillary Clinton camp had the same “dangle” been made to them for dirt on Donald Trump, Sr..
John Podesta is approached by a long-time friend of Bill Clinton’s, who happens to be connected to the Russian entertainment industry, requesting a meeting on behalf of a Russian lawyer with dirt to share on opposition candidate, Donald Trump.
- A meeting is arranged, and it quickly becomes apparent that the source really has nothing of value related to Trump and the meeting devolves into a discussion of Russian adoption programs, discontinued by the Russian government …. etc., etc.
- No damaging opposition research results, yet The Clinton Foundation obtains a $2.35 million donation; the Russian atomic energy agency, Rosatom, takes over a Canadian uranium mining firm; and Hillary’s husband, Bill is paid $500,000 to give a speech – on Russian adoptions perhaps – to the Russian investment bank with links to the Russian Government that is promoting stock in the aforementioned Canadian firm.
Now THAT would be an excellent example of Consideration passing from one party to the other! If it ever actually happened …
But it did! Every single overt act described above happened in a common thread … Russian interests to corner uranium mining and the Clintons’ interests in building up their political war chest!
Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State when that happened, serving in an official capacity at the highest level of U.S. Government, supposedly representing the interests of Americans and National Security. No way does a Canadian uranium mining firm wind its way into a Russian Government asset portfolio without the tacit approval of the U.S. Government!
You really have to admire the Clintons. They only do they know how to collude; they have the Treason thing down cold too!
Donald Trump, Jr. and company are guilty of being naive, even stupid … but not criminal.
As political neophytes, the Trumps could learn a lot of bad habits from the Clintons.