I stand alone. It’s official.
At some point this week, my last hope that good parenting, a quality standard of living, and the example – so often set here – that a grounded political philosophy can hold up to any intellectual challenge was smothered in the simple act of renewing a Pennsylvania driver’s license.
My youngest son changed his voter registration to Democrat. And he is the smart one!
Was the smart one …
How did he express his change of affiliation when asked? “I changed my mind.”
He made it sound like he was changing his socks.
Maybe it’s a statement on my Leadership. Maybe I didn’t politically proselytize enough when the boys were so impressionable the correct politic would have been permanently ingrained, like their Philly accents. Maybe I made one too many mistakes as a parent.
Oh well …
So now I am surrounded. But that’s OK. I can take solace in the following.
- Neither one of them votes to my knowledge; and unfortunately, getting an Absentee Ballot is about to get a lot harder for one Temple Owl!
- Mr. Hoot is also going to love taking the Broad St Subway back to school in the company of so many of his Democrat buds!
- The two lost offspring who still list our home as primary residence do not as yet have to buy their own healthcare on those sterling examples of Government efficacy and Democrat “know how”, those Obamacare exchanges. (I just want to be in the room when they find out how much they will be paying!)
- Neither have they had to worry about supporting themselves entirely on their own, and by doing so discover just how hard it is to stay ahead of the curve all the while supporting so many who simply don’t bother trying.
- Nor do they possess the baseline from which they can gauge all that marvelous Hope and Change to which they are obviously drawn.
- I still hold very limited influence over my Better Half. Carol votes Republican – I think – but has little interest in changing party affiliation for some reason.
In the end, I will continue to stand as the Lion at the Gate. Politely accepting the political materials dropped off at the house by my Democrat opposition during elections cycles and quietly sorting the mail. Not sure why those materials never seem to arrive with their intended receivers.
I guess all’s fair in Love and Poltics!
Of course I told the house’s latest Democrat that he will always be welcomed back into the real Party of Progress … once he regains his senses!
But for now, I am the lone Grand Old Party stalwart beating back the political zombies seeking to weaken the ramparts, while keeping the inmates calm and reassuring them that they can have their political say the second Tuesday of every November!